HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SECOND INDUCTION CEREMONY OF LIBRARIANS’ REGISTRATION COUNCIL OF NIGERIA (LRCN) ON 4TH AUGUST 2011, HELD AT THE AUDITORIUM, NATIONAL UNIVERSITIES COMMISSION (NUC), ABUJA
The second Induction Ceremony for Certified Librarians by LRCN took place as scheduled, on the 4th of August 8, 2011. The event has been acknowledged as very successful, well organized and attended. Over 1,300 people, including librarians, inductees and their family and friends, as well as other political and professional dignitaries graced the occasion. The induction ceremony was preceded by a national press conference addressed by the Registrar/CEO of LRCN Ms. Victoria Okojie on the 3rd of August, 2011 to intimate the press and the nation on the induction ceremony and to highlight the activities and programme of the Council. The highlights of the ceremony are:
1. Attendance - The ceremony was attended by the Honorable Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyat Ahmed Rufa’I; Honorable Minister of State for Education, Barr. Nyesom Wike; Hon. Farouk Lawan (Chairman); Prof. A. M. Wokocha (Keynote Speaker), Registrar/Chief Executive TRCN; Prof. Julius Okojie, Executive Secretary NUC; etc.
2. Induction - A total of 1,177 librarians were inducted as Certified Librarians of Nigeria (CLN) after taking an oath of allegiance to the LRCN. The Honorable Minister of Education presented certificates to inducted librarians.
3. Inductees Reaction - The newly inducted Librarians, speaking through their representative Dr. Samuel Jimba, expressed gratitude to LRCN for their certification and pledged to maintain excellence and high ethical standards in their professional conduct at all times.
4. Registrar’s Speech - The Registrar/CEO delivered a very impressive speech heralded by a standing ovation. In the speech, she reiterated the commitment of LRCN to prosecute any non-librarian who attempts to practice as Certified Librarian anywhere in Nigeria. She also maintained that the Council will consistently pursue initiatives to vigorously and continuously build the capacity of professional librarians in Nigeria to favorably compete with other professionals elsewhere in the world especially in the infusion and application of ICT in librarianship in Nigeria.
5. Media Coverage - The media was prominently present at the ceremony to give it the widest coverage possible. The event was reported in Daily Trust 4th and 5th August 2011; NTA Channel 5 at 7 p.m. August 4th, 2011. ThisDay and the Guardian will report the event on 10th and 11th August, respectively.